We are the
Hands of Jesus
Help at Mass
& other Times
Get to Know Us
& Find Out More
“No tree disowns its own roots.” — Karl Jung
The History of St. Vincent de Paul Church - San Francisco
St. Vincent de Paul parish was formed by Archbishop Patrick J, Riordan on August 24, 1901. The first Mass was offered in a hall on Fillmore Street on September 22, 1901 by Father Martin Ryan, the first Pastor. In 1902 the rectory and a one-story church over a hall was built at the present site at Green and Steiner. Both structures survived the earthquake of 1906. In 1911, work began on the superstructure which is the present church.
The first Mass in the new church was celebrated by the Archbishop on October 26, 1913. It became known as the "Church of the Exposition", the Panama-Pacific Exposition for which the Marina was created to celebrate the City's recovery from the earthquake. A parish school was erected in 1924. In the 1940s the noted stained glass windows were made by Carl Hunecke of the Century Stained Glass Studio of San Francisco. In 1948 the gymnasium and junior high school building were added. The church was retrofitted after an earthquake in 1957.
After the 1989 earthquake, the church was renovated in 1991 to be suitable for the liturgies of the era of Vatican II and the Third Millennium. In 1995, the lower chapel was renovated to serve as a parish hall and meeting rooms for parish organizations.
More history will be added over time…